Tuesday, March 07, 2006
The Gilded State
I know, it should be The Golden State. But it's not really, is it? For one, it rains, constantly. And for second, there is a lot that could be better, from the Governor to the drainage on the streets to the pump that keeps our basement empty of rainwater but doesn't stop pumping when it stops raining. It's a noisy pump, that's how I know it doesn't stop.
There are also other things that to me seem to be gilded over - like the migrant workers that everybody knows are illegal, but nobody could live without, and who don't have the same rights as the rest of us human beings because of their 'illegality' but who do the work our human hands would not. Who takes your double-decaf-latte styrofoam cup to the dump once you're done with it? Who picked the strawberries you're having with your champagne, and did they get paid for it enough to feed their family? Yes, I mean to sound like a flaming-red socialist; why shouldn't I?
There are also other things that to me seem to be gilded over - like the migrant workers that everybody knows are illegal, but nobody could live without, and who don't have the same rights as the rest of us human beings because of their 'illegality' but who do the work our human hands would not. Who takes your double-decaf-latte styrofoam cup to the dump once you're done with it? Who picked the strawberries you're having with your champagne, and did they get paid for it enough to feed their family? Yes, I mean to sound like a flaming-red socialist; why shouldn't I?
Comments:
<< Home
Heh,
vasta huomasin postin. Ehka kesan tullen innostun bloggaamaan paremmin :) ja oppimaan aiheesta lisaa - jonkun kuvankin voisi laittaa, vaikka kolibreista. -Aino
Post a Comment
vasta huomasin postin. Ehka kesan tullen innostun bloggaamaan paremmin :) ja oppimaan aiheesta lisaa - jonkun kuvankin voisi laittaa, vaikka kolibreista. -Aino
<< Home

