Thursday, July 27, 2006
Cable Girl
I've never had a cable connection to, or from, anything. I think. Not one that I had anything to do with anyway. But as you read this post, be aware that it is made possible through a cable connection that I just set up to the internet; and this very same cable will most likely be the culprit to future marital, hm, unbliss?
We moved from our dear old decrepit run-down cute Berkeley apartment to a much nicer Oakland apartment (anyone living in the Bay Area might find this characterization somewhat strange; however, it is quite true). The landlord of the new apartment provides free cable to all tenants (as well as free electricity, water and heat). So along with the DSL connection out goes our anti-TV lifestyle. The signs are all here: free cable, nice living room, baseball season heating up with the Red Sox and the Yankees competing for first place in their division (or whatever they're called)... End is Nigh! I fear a TV in the living room will mean an end to day-hikes on the hills, discussions over glasses of wine, and the luxury of being creative and coming up with things to do - instead, we will be filling that time with whatever is on the telly.
But then I guess to be able to criticize the media one must have access to it. We were just discussing the situation in Lebanon yesterday, and I was refering to Lauri's link to images from there, saying "these would be the kind that is not shown in any major media source, you know, the censored footage". And then realized that I have no way of actually knowing that, unless Yahoo news headlines count as a major media source. Maybe they DO show this stuff on CNN, and I just don't know it.
So here's my goodbye to pillowfights and toiletpaper wars in our TV-less first year of marriage, and a grown-up welcome to real wars and fights (as seen on TV):
Bye-bye. You will be missed.
We moved from our dear old decrepit run-down cute Berkeley apartment to a much nicer Oakland apartment (anyone living in the Bay Area might find this characterization somewhat strange; however, it is quite true). The landlord of the new apartment provides free cable to all tenants (as well as free electricity, water and heat). So along with the DSL connection out goes our anti-TV lifestyle. The signs are all here: free cable, nice living room, baseball season heating up with the Red Sox and the Yankees competing for first place in their division (or whatever they're called)... End is Nigh! I fear a TV in the living room will mean an end to day-hikes on the hills, discussions over glasses of wine, and the luxury of being creative and coming up with things to do - instead, we will be filling that time with whatever is on the telly.
But then I guess to be able to criticize the media one must have access to it. We were just discussing the situation in Lebanon yesterday, and I was refering to Lauri's link to images from there, saying "these would be the kind that is not shown in any major media source, you know, the censored footage". And then realized that I have no way of actually knowing that, unless Yahoo news headlines count as a major media source. Maybe they DO show this stuff on CNN, and I just don't know it.
So here's my goodbye to pillowfights and toiletpaper wars in our TV-less first year of marriage, and a grown-up welcome to real wars and fights (as seen on TV):
Bye-bye. You will be missed.
