Tuesday, July 17, 2007

 
Coolness of California
Driving down the highway on my way home from Berkeley Bowl, where mostly everything is organic, locally produced and fair trade (or one of the three) with prices that are incredibly affordable, I tuned into one of our favourite local rock stations and happened on a Red Hot Chili Peppers song. With the window open so the refreshing bay breeze could cool down the car, baby asleep on the back seat, and little but this blog entry ahead as a duty I came to think that I really am quite happy here.

I haven't met any loud, obnoxious Americans yet (some Latin Americans and an Australian I have, although they are just loud, not obnoxious). I'm starting to think the stereotypical American only exists in the subways and museums of Europe, living in the basement and the tunnels and only coming out on occasion to annoy the locals.

I haven't met anyone who votes for the Republican party, and haven't even heard of anyone who voted for W.Bush. I've heard them on the radio on occasion or seen some in the newspaper, but all and all they seem like the abominable snowman - feared and despised but rarely seen.

I've seen about the same number of obese people here - very few - as I ever did in Finland. I have seen many, many extremely fit people though. I am often the worst dressed person in any given group in my shorts or jeans, t-shirt and running shoes. Luckily I don't carry a fanny pack like many European tourists do.

I take public transportation or car pool to work. We walk to go shopping in our local supermarkets and little shops. There's never any sugary cereal in our cupboard - there are about 50 healthy brands to choose from. It's easy to find good, fresh, local fruits and vegetables, as well as organic, grass-fed meat from local farms. San Francisco recently banned plastic bags from shops to reduce waste, and both Berkeley and Oakland are passing similar legislation soon.

And the coffee is very good, too. I have never had anything here that tastes like what people call 'American coffee', as in weak and watery brew. Oh and same for the beer. The selection is incredibly varied, great mini and microbreweries abound, and as for imported beer, well, there's nearly nothing that isn't available (I even recall seeing Koff Porter somewhere).

Oh and of course: it's always sunny.

Comments:
But how about cider :) ? San Francisco is an exception, that's what everybody's been telling me. So I suppose you're lucky to live there instead of say...well, almost any other town. When I was reading Lonely Planet for USA just for fun a few weeks ago, it sounded almost impossible to live without a car in most cities.

It was nice to hear your (and Sophia's :)) voice yesterday - take care you all!
 
I have experienced quite a different America: Little Rock Arkansas, Dallas Texas, Raleigh North Carolina, Miami Florida. Why don't you venture to the Deep South, and you'll be ever happier to return home.

Reetta
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?