Friday, July 20, 2007
Quakes
True to the name of this blog, here's a little post about earthquakes. There was one of about 4.2 magnitude last night. I was half awake already (that's what babies do to you sometimes) but it was certainly strong enough to wake one up - Andre jumped up faster than I did although he was sound asleep when it started. The first instinct - get to a doorframe - was overcome by the second thought - get the baby - in a matter of seconds, but by the time I got the baby and was standing under a doorframe it was well over.
Just about an hour ago there was another little jolt. This time the first thought was get the baby and then get to a doorframe. I guess I still need to get used to being wholly responsible for her life as well as my own.
In any case, when (not if) the Big One hits, there'll most likely be no getting anywhere while the quake continues. As Andre pointed out, a 6 on Richter's scale is hundred times stronger (in amplitude) than a 4, and it was already a little funny standing up with just a 4.2 going on. And who says the big one will only measure 6?
Here's where you can see the most recent and constantly updated info on earthquakes around here: Recent Earthquakes in California and Nevada.
Just about an hour ago there was another little jolt. This time the first thought was get the baby and then get to a doorframe. I guess I still need to get used to being wholly responsible for her life as well as my own.
In any case, when (not if) the Big One hits, there'll most likely be no getting anywhere while the quake continues. As Andre pointed out, a 6 on Richter's scale is hundred times stronger (in amplitude) than a 4, and it was already a little funny standing up with just a 4.2 going on. And who says the big one will only measure 6?
Here's where you can see the most recent and constantly updated info on earthquakes around here: Recent Earthquakes in California and Nevada.
Comments:
<< Home
Oh, hopefully your door frames are good and strong.
Here in Nepal we are also expecting the Big One. It has been already twenty years or more from the last major quake, and in all likelihood the next one is just behind the corner. Just look at the mountains and remember that the highest mountain in the world just keeps getting higher and higher.
Knowing the "quality" of building here, I wouldn't trust any door frames. And what really worries me is that we are locked in every night. The downstairs door is locked from the outside and waking up the guard certainly takes an earthquake - I know, I've tried. And for some reason nobody takes seriously the grumblings of the foreign devil about fire safety. Well, we'll just have to keep hoping the Big One still keeps us waiting, and take solace in that in case it comes, at least we'll be properly dead.
An interesting (read: depressing) turn in the politics of Nepal yesterday. The Maoists left the government and declared they will disrupt the Constituent Assembly polls. They were the ones who wanted it originally, what a crazy world. More on this later in relmari.com.
Reetta
Post a Comment
Here in Nepal we are also expecting the Big One. It has been already twenty years or more from the last major quake, and in all likelihood the next one is just behind the corner. Just look at the mountains and remember that the highest mountain in the world just keeps getting higher and higher.
Knowing the "quality" of building here, I wouldn't trust any door frames. And what really worries me is that we are locked in every night. The downstairs door is locked from the outside and waking up the guard certainly takes an earthquake - I know, I've tried. And for some reason nobody takes seriously the grumblings of the foreign devil about fire safety. Well, we'll just have to keep hoping the Big One still keeps us waiting, and take solace in that in case it comes, at least we'll be properly dead.
An interesting (read: depressing) turn in the politics of Nepal yesterday. The Maoists left the government and declared they will disrupt the Constituent Assembly polls. They were the ones who wanted it originally, what a crazy world. More on this later in relmari.com.
Reetta
<< Home

